Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chicken Asparagus Bake

As I cooked this dish, I started to sing, "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..." The red bell peppers and green asparagus made me think of the holidays, and I might just revisit this meal in December for that very reason. But, I'll admit, I'll probably revisit before then as well.

Start by melting 2 Tablespoons butter in a pot. Add one finely chopped red bell pepper and about four cups of sliced mushrooms. Cook in butter for about five minutes; then stir in 3 Tablespoons flour, a little bit of nutmeg, and a little bit of salt or chicken boullion. After a minute, stir in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken, and 1/2 pound fresh or frozen asparagus, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces. Pour mixture into casserole and top with breadcrumbs. Soft breadcrumbs work well in this dish, so I just threw the end pieces of a loaf into the food processor for a quick homemade version. Bake at 400 for 30 to 40 minutes.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment