Monday, October 10, 2011

Portugese Style Stew

With the onset of fall, stews and soups, filled with rich, deep colors and flavors, are calling my name. Here is something that my mother in law originally introduced me to, though she makes hers with collards rather than kale, and this version has a few additions.

In a skillet, brown one chopped onion and one pound of sliced sausage. I used smoked turkey sausage because that's what was on sale, but a spicier sausage would be even better. Add the browned sausage and onions to a crock pot, along with one can diced tomatoes, one can drained chickpeas, lots of chopped red-skinned potatoes, and a whole bunch of kale, stemmed and torn. Yes, it will look like the crock pot is going to leak kale, but trust me, it will wilt down considerably. Bring it all together with four cups of homemade or store-bought chicken broth, season with salt and pepper, and set on low for 8 hours.

Later that day...


Mmmm. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment