Saturday, November 12, 2011

Meatball Subs

Here's another one that I don't have a picture of. Wow, I don't know what is wrong with me. Maybe it's the pregnancy...I get so hungry that my first thought when supper is ready is not, "Okay, where is my camera?" But I need to go ahead and post this one so I don't forget it, because we all loved it! Maybe next time I make it I can add a picture!

First, the bread. You could certainly buy any hoagie style buns that you like, but lately I have been on a kick of making ALL of the bread that we eat from scratch. Maybe it's like nesting, or maybe it's because I know this will probably be impossible once new baby makes her appearance! But here is the recipe I used (adapted from Taste of Home):

  • 1 package (2 1/4 tsp) quick rising dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour, plus extra for kneading

  • Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl. Add the water and oil, and mix until combined. Use hands to knead, adding more flour as needed (I could make a joke here but I'll refrain), for about 5 to 10 minutes. Place ball of dough in a bowl, cover, and let rise for an hour. Divide into 6 portions, shape into loaves, and then cover and let rise again. I let them rise the second time for another hour, but you don't have to wait that long. Bake at 400 for about 12-15 minutes.

    Now for the meatballs - super simple. Mix one pound lean ground beef, 3/4 cup bread crumbs, a splash of Worcestershire sauce, and a splash or two of soy sauce in a bowl. Form into balls and brown in an oven-safe skillet, olive oil, for about 2-3 minutes per side. Add some minced garlic, and then one large can of crushed tomatoes, as well as Italian herbs to season. Bring to a boil and then transfer to a 400 oven for 15-20 minutes.

    Split your homemade hoagie rolls, and place meatballs inside, topped with mozzarella cheese. Serve with baked sweet potatoes or the veggie of your choice.

    So wish I had a picture to share.

    But at least my tummy is happy.

    Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment