Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chicken and Gnocci Soup

So, I found this whole wheat gnocchi the other day at Trader Joe's, and I was pretty excited. I love gnocchi. I have made it before, but it is pretty time consuming so I was thrilled to find some good quality stuff in a package. Plus, I adore the Olive Garden's chicken and gnocchi soup, so I was excited for an excuse to try to copy their recipe! I found the basic recipe here.

In a large pot or dutch oven, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil and add...

1 onion, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced

Cook for five minutes and then add some boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed. I only used one because we like to streeeeetttcch our meat around here, but some (aka my Dad) might like more meat.
Cook until meat is no longer pink.

Then stir in...

4 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk (I used almond milk)
Salt
Pepper
A few generous pinches of "herbs de provence" (or thyme, savory, basil, etc.)

Bring to a boil, and then add...

2 lbs whole wheat gnocchi
A big handful of spinach leaves, torn

Bring back to a boil, and then cut it back to simmer for at least 20 minutes. After that you can serve it or let it sit up till supper, heating it back up right before serving.





Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment