Sunday, May 20, 2012

Menu Planning

I typically plan for 5 dinners per week, leaving 2 nights open for leftovers. I keep an extra bag of frozen veggies and either pasta or rice for a quick stir-fry in case we don't have enough leftovers. I plan our meals based on what produce and meats are on sale at the grocery store, and I try to include a variety of meal types (pasta, mexican, meatless, etc.) I typically buy meats when they are on sale and freeze them, so often my shopping list doesn't include meat b/c I use what I have in the freezer.

Here is my menu plan from last week...
Chef Salad
Sweet Potato Pizza
Pasta Delight
Venison Gyros
Fish Tacos


I usually make at least 2 batches of homemade cereal per week, 1-2 loaves of bread, and some other snack type food like granola bars or muffins. For breakfast I keep oatmeal and oat bran on hand. We typically try to have 2-3 different types of fruits on hand to snack on, depending upon what is on sale, and of course veggies like carrots and cucumbers are always good to have on hand as well. For lunch we eat leftovers, sandwiches, or whatever we can find in the house :) When all is said and done, my grocery bill typically runs between $60 and $70 per week - probably closer to $70 on average because my monthly budget for food is $280. This may seem high to some and low to others, but for us $280 is doable but definitely not extravagant. My goal is to feed my family a variety of nutrients at every meal, with as little processed food as possible.

The next 5 posts are the meals from last week's plan...


No comments:

Post a Comment