Saturday, February 5, 2011

Roasted Eggplant Pasta

I don't love eggplant, mostly because of the texture. But when I saw Rachael Ray do a dish like this one, pureeing the eggplant and combining with garlic and tomatoes, I thought I had to give it a try. And I'm so glad I did!!! This was a big hit in our house this weekend. In fact, I think it ranks up there with Little Bit's favorite meals now!

To begin with, roast an eggplant and a whole head of garlic. Place the whole eggplant on a baking sheet, stab it a few times on the top, and put it in the oven at 425 degrees. Cut the top part off the garlic to expose the bulbs, drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and wrap it up in aluminum foil. Put it in the oven as well. It should take about 40-45 minutes for both. The eggplant will look kind of wrinkled when you take it out. Set both aside to cool.


On the same baking sheet, empty out two pints of cherry or grape tomatoes. I cut mine in half, but I'm sure you could leave them whole if you wanted less work.


Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and put in the oven at 400 for about 15 minutes.


Now it's time to puree everything. For the eggplant...remove the purple skin with a paring knife, cut the flesh into chunks and put into food processor.


For the garlic...squeeze out the guts of the roasted garlic, mash with a fork, and put into food processor. For the tomatoes...just put them in, they're fine like they are. Now, I have a mini-food processor, so I can't fit all those ingredients in at once. I pureed the eggplant and garlic together, put it in my pot, and then pureed the tomatoes and added them to the pot. If you have a big processor, you can just puree them all together.

Add one can of tomato sauce to the pot and bring it up to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes. Spice it up! I used basil, oregano, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and a pinch of red pepper flake. While the sauce simmers, cook one box of whole wheat penne pasta according to package directions, and then drain and add to the sauce. Stir it all up, top with parmesan cheese, and...



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment