Thursday, January 13, 2011

Butternut Pasta

This is...are you ready for it???...my FAVORITE meal. Possibly ever. I know that's a huge statement. And I might make that statement about other meals as well. But then I eat this one, and I know without a doubt, that this is the one, for at least four reasons...

1. The Butternut Squash

Have you ever had this delectable winter squash? If you haven't, you need to stop reading this post, go to the nearest grocery store, buy one, and then come back and finish reading. I really want you to be as in love with butternuts as I am.

They are so lovely.

To begin, peel the squash. Definitely with a vegetable peeler. The first time I worked with a butternut, I tried to use my not-so-sharp paring knife, and I ended up with frustration, a big mess, and maybe two square inches of butternut squash to cook. No, the skin is very tough, so just save yourself the grief and peel it the easy way.

Then cube the squash. I do this in two stages. First, I cut off the long cylinder-shaped top portion, cut it into about half-inch slices, and then cube each slice. Then I take the round bottom part, cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the pulp and seeds, and cube the rest of it. Yes, it is a lot of work. Yes, butternut squash is really tough to cut. Yes, it is totally worth it.


Once it is all cubed up to the best of your ability, put it on a pan with little sides. Is this a cookie sheet? Is it a jelly roll pan? I don't know. Drizzle with olive oil, toss it around, sprinkle salt and pepper, and put it in a 425 degree oven for, oh, 35-45 minutes. Until it starts to get brown and crispy around some of the edges.

Mmmm.

2. The Sausage

Tonight when I made this dish, I used 3 links of Italian style turkey sausage because that's what I had left from the package I used to make lentil stew earlier this week. But for the most amazing butternut pasta ever, use deer sausage.

Cube it up and brown it in a skillet.


Sausage is wonderful.

3. The Pasta

Confession: If I ate pasta every day, I would be happy. I am a happy person. Logical conclusion: I eat pasta (almost) every day.

Use whole wheat elbow macaroni. It's the bomb. And remember to salt the boiling water before you put the pasta in.

4. The Butter

This is the secret ingredient running behind all the flavors in this dish. Once the pasta is cooked, pour it in the drainer and let it hang out while you return the pot to the stove. Over medium heat, melt a tablespoon of butter. Shake in your favorite herbs...I used thyme, oregano, and basil. Let the butter melt and absorb all the herbs. It will even start foaming a little. It's so cute.


Keep stirring it around so it doesn't burn. You'll know it's ready when you drop one little pasta elbow into the butter and it sizzles - then pour all the pasta in (SIZZLE) and stir it around to coat all the pasta in the herb-butter.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Final step: Add the perfectly browned sausage; the perfectly roasted butternut squash; and a perfect handful of shredded parmesan cheese to the pot. Stir it all around.

Amazingness.


Once you take one bite of this, you will die. In the best way possible. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment