Friday, January 14, 2011

Chicken and White Bean Chili

Do you like chili? I looooooove chili. I love it on cold nights and during college football games and on evenings in with the Coach. This is a different twist on the classic.

To thicken the chili, I start by melting 1 Tablespoon of butter over medium heat. To the melted butter add 2 tablespoons of flour; stir it around for about a minute and then slowly pour in 1 box (or 2 cans) of chicken broth.

The "pour it in slowly" part is really hard for me. I know that the more slowly I pour it in, the thicker it will be. And I start off well. I pour a teeny bit, stir it around, and experience the delight of actually seeing it thicken right before my eyes. I pour a little more in...and then realize that at this rate I will still be pouring it in when it's time to eat. So then I just dump it. Oh well.

Next add the main ingredients...
2 cans of white beans (I used 1 can northern beans and 1 can cannelini beans)
2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped or shredded
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
1 cup of salsa (I used a mixture of medium and mild. Because that's what was in the fridge. Next time I think I will use all medium.)
1 cup of shredded cheese (I used mozzarella. Again, because that's what was in the fridge. But I bet cheddar would be really good.)
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon chili powder

And let it simmer for 20 or 30 minutes. Or in my case, a couple of hours, because this is one I can make during Little Bit's nap. Scoop it into a bowl, add some crushed tortilla chips on top...


And then eat it. Eat it all. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment