Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sausage and Lentil Stew

Adapted from Taste of Home, Best Light Recipes

Since there is about half an inch of snow covering at least 38% of the yard outside my window, I think that we are officially snowed in. And of course, on nights when you are snowed in, you must eat stew.

In the bottom (as if you could do this in any other part, like the top or the sides) of a large saucepan, saute...

1 onion, chopped into small pieces
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Turkey sausage, previously cooked and sliced into little lovable chunks
**Tonight I used 3 links of Italian turkey sausage. I boiled them for about 7 minutes, then sliced them and browned them in the bottom of the pot. In previous versions I have also used fully cooked turkey kielbasa, which seems to hold up just a little better to cooking.

When the veggies are tender enough for you and the sausage is brown enough for you, add to the pot...

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
3 cups water
1 cup dry lentils (Did you know that lentils are known as the powerhouse of legumes? I wish I was known as the powerhouse of legumes.)
3 small red potatoes, unpeeled and diced
Spices to your liking...I used close to a tsp of cumin, a few shakes of chili powder, a pinch of red pepper flake, and a bit of salt. Remember to be very accurate on these measurements.

Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for as long as you like. I left mine on for over three hours. Because I like my stew very simmered. I also like to cook supper during Little Bit's nap, which usually takes place around 1:00 in the afternoon, leaving a good long while for the stew to simmer.

The result? A hot bowl of love. I mean, lentil stew.


Mmmmm. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Jana, I love your new blog! I'm always looking for good meal ideas. I have some lentils to use up, so I'm going to give this recipe a try. :)

    ReplyDelete