Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

My favorite squash ever is butternut squash. (Check out the most amazing butternut squash recipe here.) But my second favorite squash is spaghetti squash...and this is by far the most entertaining squash you will ever eat.

Start by splitting the squash in half lengthwise. You will need one spaghetti squash for every two people. Beware: it is called a "hardsquash" for a reason. But the work is worth it. If you pop the whole squash in the microwave for about a minute and a half before cutting it, it softens just enough to save you a little frustration.


When you split it open you will see lots of pulp and seeds.

Scrape all the gunk out with a spoon.


Drizzle a little olive oil over the squash and season with salt and pepper. Put the squash on a baking sheet, cut side up, and put it in a 375 degree oven for one hour.


While the squash is cooking, prepare your toppings. You can put anything you like on top...the possibilities are endless. This time I made three different options: I chopped and sauteed a package of button mushrooms; I browned some lean ground beef; and I made a red sauce out of tomato sauce, grated garlic, oregano, and marjoram. I have also used sausage as well as chicken before, and all of it tastes great with spaghetti squash.

Here is the fun part.

When you are ready to eat, you serve everyone their own little ready made "bowl." Take a fork and just start to scrape the sides and bottom...


It comes up just like spaghetti noodles!


Once your "noodles" are ready, top it off! I personally used all of the above toppings, plus mozzarella cheese. I always use cheese.


The most fun you will ever have eating squash, I promise. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Could you be any cuter? I think not :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. please contact me regarding your blog-thank you so much!

    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this a few weeks back, but I completely forgot to comment. Thanks so much for your step by step directions on how to prepare some excellent spaghetti squash. This will definitely become a staple meal for me.

    ReplyDelete