Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas

My dad loves to eat at the local Mexican restaurant. I was pretty intimidated to try to imitate his favorite dish in a "new, improved, healthier" version, but I decided to go for it. And, in his own words, he just said, "I tell you what. That stuff you made last night...It was really good." What more could I ask for?

The idea of a quesadilla is pretty simple - chicken and cheese stuffed between two tortillas. The tricky part is the sauce. I looked up all kinds of quesadilla sauce recipes and they all called for mayonnaise.

I do not do mayonnaise. Not only is it really bad for you, it is also really gross.

So here was my solution:
2 Tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
3 Tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
1 Tablespoon salsa

Mix together and chill. This is enough sauce for 3 to 4 quesadillas. Spread the sauce on one side of one whole wheat tortilla; top with a little bit of shredded Mexican style cheese (I used 2% cheese); top that with some shredded chicken (I used leftovers from a roasted chicken recipe that I plan on posting very soon); top with more cheese; and put the other tortilla on top.

I used my mom's panini press to cook these. A George Foreman would work great, and I am sure it can be done in the oven or even in a skillet on the stovetop as well.

I don't have a picture. They were eaten too fast. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment